Six-Forty by Four-Eighty
An Interactive Lighting Installation (2010)
Six-Forty by Four-Eighty is an interactive lighting installation composed of an array of magnetic, physical pixels. Individually, pixel-tiles change their color in response to touch and communicate their state to each other by using a person's body as the conduit for information. When grouped together, the pixel-tiles create patterns and animations that can serve as a tool for customizing our physical spaces. By transposing the pixel from the confines of the screen and into the physical world, focus is drawn to the materiality of computation and new forms for design emerge.
Materials: Injection Molded ABS/Polycarbonate, Glass, LEDs, Electronics, Software, Steel.
Six-Forty by Four-Eighty was created by Zigelbaum + Coelho for the Design Miami/ Basel 2010 W Hotels Designer of the Future Award.
With help from Joshua Kopin, Varum Perumal, Madeleine Claire Elish, Ryan Wistort, Jeff Lieberman, Mark Feldmeier, Jay Silver, Aaron Zinman, Jean-Baptiste Labrune, Natan Linder, David Merrill, Seth Hunter, Pol Pla, Nicholas Zigelbaum, Emma Lazrove, Silas Maniatis, Grace Escano, Alexander Dawson, Pat Lian, Dylan Rykerson, Juan Gorris, and Catherine McMahon.
- 2011: Prix Ars Electronica, Honorary Mention in Interactive Art
- 2011: I.D. Magazine Annual Design Review, Honorable Mention
- 2010: Design Miami/ Basel, W Hotels Designer of the Future Award
- Zigelbaum, J., and Coelho, M. Six-Forty by Four-Eighty: an interactive lighting installation. Proc. CHI EA ‘11, ACM (2011), 485-485.
- Coelho, M., Zigelbaum, J. and Kopin, J. Six-Forty by Four-Eighty: The Post-Industrial Design of Computational Materials. Proc. TEI’11, ACM Press (2011).
- Wired UK. Six-Forty by Four-Eighty: physical pixel art. November 20, 2012.
- Creative Applications Network. Six-Forty by Four-Eighty. January 7, 2011
- The Creators Project. Tangible Pixels That "Talk" To One Another. January 10, 2011
- Vogue. Let There Be Light. November 22, 2010.
- Financial Times. How To Spend It: That’s A Beautiful Code. October 16, 2010.
- Le Temps. Au doigt et à l’œil. June 17, 2010.
- New York Times: T Magazine. Design Miami/Basel | The Future Perfect. June 15, 2010.